CoolTone is a non-invasive body contouring technique that uses magnetic muscle stimulation (MMS) technology to bolster, strengthen, and harden the muscles in a patient’s abdomen, thighs, and buttocks. The MMS technology penetrates the underlying fat layers to tone and strengthens the muscles using liquid-cooled applicators. Studies have shown that MMS technology is well-tolerated and associated with high patient satisfaction levels when used to contour the abdomen and buttocks. Noninvasive body contouring techniques like CoolTone involve minimal downtime.
Founded by Dr. Vinay Aggarwal, Self Care LA is a holistic practice focusing on non-invasive treatments like optimizing hormones, body sculpting, laser treatment, and a full repertoire of facial aesthetic treatments. Conveniently located to serve the areas of Santa Monica, Brentwood, Culver City, and Los Angeles, Self Care LA is the destination for CoolSculpting, CoolToning, and top-of-the-line aesthetic treatments.
From the same company that brought you Botox and CoolSculpting, it’s CoolTone!
Sometimes it seems like no matter how hard you work out; you just can’t get the muscle tone you desire. MMS technology can accomplish results that many people could never achieve by working out three or four times a week. This process is virtually painless and provides a better-toned body.
- The MMS technology penetrates the skin and fat to target the muscles, inducing involuntary muscular contractions.
- These contractions cause the body to strengthen its muscle fibers.
- These contractions are much more potent than the voluntary contractions that occur while performing exercises such as sit-ups and crunches and occur at a much faster rate than such activities can provide.
- Results in firm, toned abdominal muscles, thighs, and buttocks.
How Do the Muscles Contract?
Muscle contraction happens when the nervous system sends a signal, an impulse called an action potential, through a type of nerve cell called a motor neuron.
CoolTone’s MMS technology is an external stimulation that can bypass the natural order, recruit more muscle fibers, and generate more muscular contractions.
The CoolTone® device is FDA-cleared to improve abdominal tone, strengthen the abdominal muscles, and develop a firmer abdomen. CoolTone® is also FDA-cleared for strengthening, toning and firming of buttocks and thighs.
- Natural Looking Results
- No Recovery Time Needed
The ideal candidate for CoolTone is somebody who is already physically active and can stick to a healthy lifestyle but wants more definition in their abs or glutes.
Candidates should NOT pursue CoolTone if they:
- Have metal, electrical, or electronic devices/implants
- Cardiac pacemakers, implanted hearing devices, defibrillators, neurostimulators, or drug pumps.
- Are currently menstruating.
- Have a fever.
- Have malignant tumors.
- Have hemorrhagic conditions.
- Have epilepsy.
- Had recent surgery.
- Have pulmonary insufficiency.
- Have Graves’ disease.
- Are pregnant.
Click here to schedule your free consultation. Virtual consultations are available as well.
During your consultation, you and Dr. Aggarwal will discuss your concerns and explain how you would like CoolTone to improve your appearance. He will work with you to create your best outcome. He will ask about your lifestyle and health to determine if a CoolTone treatment is your best body contouring solution.
Most patients require more than one procedure. Dr. Aggarwal will plan out a treatment schedule with you.
There’s little-to-no preparation required for CoolTone treatments. It’s advised that you empty your bladder and avoid a full meal before your treatment. We also recommend some light stretching before undergoing the CoolTone process. Prepare for your session as you would an intense workout at the gym.
Other than that, just show up and relax.
- No anesthesia is required for CoolTone treatments.
- The CoolTone applicator is applied over areas to be treated.
- Delivers high-intensity focused electromagnetic (HIFEM) energy to contract muscle tissue.
- During a single session, the CoolTone device creates approximately 25,000 supramaximal muscle contractions.
- During treatment, the muscles adapt to the HIFEM energy by remodeling and developing muscle tissue.
- A single session can last up to 30 to 45 minutes.
There is no downtime with CoolTone. However, immediately after treatment, the treated area may be mildly sore, just like a strength-training workout. Soreness may persist for a day following the treatment.
Most patients can return to their daily routines immediately afterward. Subsequent treatments are typically 2-4 days apart over 2 weeks.
Your results will set in gradually over the next few weeks as your muscles grow and your body metabolizes fat. These results will get better if paired with a healthy lifestyle and a few more CoolTone treatments. Final results will take form in about three months.
Studies have proven that treatment of the abdomen and or buttocks with MMS was well‐tolerated and demonstrated significant aesthetic appearance improvement.
This treatment implements cryolipolysis, or fat freezing, to reduce fat stores. Unlike CoolTone, CoolSculpting does not build muscle. However, it is an excellent non-surgical treatment to combine with CoolTone for achieving optimal results. You can easily use CoolSculpting to reduce fat under your chin, in your arms, back, or thighs. You can then schedule an appointment for CoolTone to build muscle in your bum, abdomen, or other desired area.
Studies have proven cryolipolysis to be a safe, effective method of reducing small areas of unwanted fat. Side effects are minimal and include pain, redness, bruising, and swelling.
Emsculpt tones the body using High-Intensity Focused ElectroMagnetic field (HIFEM) technology to trigger high-speed muscle contractions. These “supramaximal” muscle contractions build muscle and raise the patient’s metabolism to trigger lipolysis in the treated area.
The significant differences between CoolTone vs. Emsculpt are:
- The specific energy used to stimulate contractions.
- CoolTone uses magnetic muscle stimulation (MMS), while Emsculpt uses highly-intensity focused electromagnetic (HIFEM) technology.
- The treatment areas
- Emsculpt is FDA cleared to treat more areas than CoolTone. Both treatments can strengthen the core, chisel the abs, and build up the thighs and upper legs.
- However, Emsculpt can also treat the upper arms for more muscular biceps and triceps.
The cost of each CoolTone treatment will differ between patients. Because CoolTone is a simple, convenient solution to sculpting your body, the treatment can be performed on multiple areas at once to help you achieve your best appearance. You may set up numerous appointments so you can achieve your ideal body within the year. Other patients may only require one or two CoolTone treatments. How often you choose to have CoolTonewill depends on what your ideal aesthetic is. All of these factors will dictate how much your procedure costs. In a personal consultation, Dr. Aggarwal will develop a customized treatment and discuss the costs with you.
If you liked what you have read, check out the SelfCare blog, where you’ll find all sorts of exciting content like aesthetic advice, treatment options, tech updates, special offers, and much more.
CoolTone is the brand name for a muscle toning process that utilizes magnetic muscle stimulation tech to develop the muscles in a patient’s abdomen, thighs, and buttocks.
Magnetic Muscle Stimulation (MMS) technology is a novel non-invasive approach to body contouring that improves muscle tone, definition, and strength by induction of non-voluntary muscle contractions.
CoolTone targets the muscle cells in your body, while CoolSculpting targets the body’s fat cells.
Yes, the FDA approved CoolTone in 2019.
No. Generally, the process feels like a series of muscular contractions.
CoolTone targets the abs, thighs, and buttocks.
Common side effects may include muscular pain, temporary muscle spasm, brief joint or tendon pain, and redness at or near the treatment site.
For best results, a total of 4 treatments for the abdomen and buttocks for 30 minutes, twice a week for 2 weeks. To maintain your initial results, we recommend an additional treatment every 3-6 months.
CooTone results will last you a couple of months! You will want to schedule CoolTone maintenance appointments and continue living a healthy lifestyle for your best results.
No, CoolTone is not an adequate replacement for exercise. Regular exercise provides extensive health benefits for your bodily systems. CoolTone only helps enhance the tone and strength of the muscles being treated. However, CoolTone can be a great addition to your workout routine.
- Shridharani, Sachin M. MD; Tisch, Grace M. BA Abstract 83: Early Experience Using Magnetic Muscle Stimulation (MMS) Technology On The Abdomen And Buttocks For Non-Invasive Body Shaping, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open: April 2020 – Volume 8 – Issue 4S – p 54 doi: 10.1097/01.GOX.0000667392.94293.1e
- Alhaddad, M., MD, Boen, M., MD, Fabi, S., MD, & Goldman, M. P., MD. (2020). Noninvasive body contouring by dermal fillers, radiofrequency, and focused ultrasound: A review. Dermatological Reviews, 1(3), 84-90. doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/der2.38
- Fabi, S., MD, Dover, J. S., MD, FRCPC, Tanzi, E., MD, Bowes, L. E., MD, Fu, F. T., MS, & Odusan, A., MBA. (2020). A 12‐Week, Prospective, Non‐Comparative, Non‐Randomized Study of Magnetic Muscle Stimulation for Improvement of Body Satisfaction With the Abdomen and Buttocks. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 53(1), 79-88. doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.23348
- Harper, Miryam and Lassetter, Jane, “Coolsculpting or Cryolipolysis, A Guide for Primary Care Providers” (2019). Student Works. 264. https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/studentpub/264
- Shridharani, S. M., & Tisch, G. M. (2020). Abstract 83: Early Experience Using Magnetic Muscle Stimulation (MMS) Technology On The Abdomen And Buttocks For Non-Invasive Body Shaping. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open, 8(4 Suppl), 54-54. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.GOX.0000667392.94293.1e
CoolSculpting(R) is FDA-cleared to treat visible fat bulges in 9 areas of the body. Some common side effects include temporary numbness, discomfort, and swelling.